Contact Cathy Roberts 812-320-5437 or email email@example.com for more information, forms, and with questions
Dental assistants taking x-rays in the State of Indiana must be licensed by the Indiana State Department of Health to do so. The American Dental Assistants Association has a home study package of 6 courses approved by the Indiana State Department of Health for the Indiana Radiology Program that can be completed at home or in the office. If the assistant is a professional member of the ADAA or joins as a new professional member of the ADAA (not a student), then the assistant can take the Radiology Program at no additional fee on line. To apply for membership in the ADAA, complete the membership application (www.adaausa.org) on line or download and fax to the ADAA office at (630) 351-8490 with payment for national and Indiana state dues. Once you receive your membership number you can begin to take the courses.
The assistant also will need to apply for an Indiana Provisional Dental Permit to take x-rays in the office while completing the home study courses. The Provisional Permit Application is available online through the Indiana State Department of Health Website, https://www.in.gov/health/cshcr/medical-radiology-services. After receiving the membership number and starting the courses, you will need to complete the “Application for Provisional or Student Permit” form which you will email to firstname.lastname@example.org to be signed.. The ADAA Education Director, Joanna Truitt, will sign and date the form and return to you. Do not put your social security number on the form to email. When it comes back signed, then put your social security number on the form to send to the ISDH. Then you must send it into the Indiana State Department of Health to receive your Provisional Permit. The “ADAA Home Study Courses, 529 14th Street, NW, Suite 1280, Washington, DC 20045. ” must be listed on the application for the Provisional Permit as the educational program for the assistant (“ADAA Home Study Course, address. and the date you ordered the course”) and you must mark “Provisional-Dental”, not student. The assistant may not take x-rays in the office until she receives the Provisional Permit and the permit is valid for 6 months from the date it was issued by the Indiana State Department of Health (It cannot be renewed). The assistant may take x-rays under the supervision of an Indiana licensed dentist with the valid Provisional Permit.
During the clinical training in the office, the assistant should complete the 6 specific home study courses and exams at the end of each course as listed on the second page. When completing the course on line, download the Certificate of Completion at the end of each exam. The Home Study Courses are “open book” exams and any licensed dentist, hygienist or x-ray licensed assistant may assist the student with the courses.
Once all 6 exams are passed, the employer dentist must sign a Certificate of Proficiency available on the Indiana State Department of Health website. The assistant will need to apply for the Dental Assisting National Board Radiation Health and Safety Exam directly with DANB and can request a “Candidate Guide” from DANB at 1-800-FOR DANB or on line at www.danb.org. After passing the DANB RHS exam, the assistant will then apply for the Operators License with the ISDH. The Application for License is available on the ISDH website.
The assistant must send in copies of the 6 “Certificates of Completion” from the ADAA along with the Certificate of Proficiency and a copy of the DANB Certificate to the Indiana State Department of Health with the Application for the Radiology License and the $60 fee.
American Dental Assistants Association
Indiana State Department of Health Approved
Dental Radiology Education Package
Radiology Package Includes:
Course Title and Number Hours
1. Introduction to Basic Concepts in Dental
Radiography (1302) 18
2. Intra Oral Radiographic Technique (1420) 3
3. Dental Radiographic Pitfalls and Errors (1203) 4
4. Identifying Diseases of the Teeth and Oral Cavity
Through Radiographic Images (1309) 4
5. Digital Radiography in Dentistry: Moving from
Film-based to Digital Imaging (1306) 4
6. Radiation Biology, Safety and Protection for
Today’s Dental Assistant (1105) 5
STEPS TO COMPLETE THE INDIANA RADIOLOGY PROGRAM
1. TO COMPLETE THE COURSE ONLINE, JOIN THE AMERICAN DENTAL ASSISTANTS ASSOCIATION AS A PROFESSIONAL MEMBER INCLUDING THE INDIANA STATE DUES BY COMPLETING THE ADAA MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION ON LINE (www.adaausa.org) OR FAXING IT TO THE ADAA OFFICE AT (630)-351-8490. ONCE YOU RECEIVE YOUR MEMBERSHIP NUMBER, GO ON THE ADAA WEBSITE (www.adaausa.org) AND CLICK ON THE CONTINUING EDUCATION SECTION. THEN DOWNLOAD ONE OF THE REQUIRED RADIOLOGY COURSES LISTED ABOVE. THIS ENROLLS YOU IN THE PROGRAM.
2. COMPLETE THE ISDH PROVISIONAL PERMIT APPLICATION. Email the application to email@example.com TO THE ADAA. THE PERMIT APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU WITH THE ADAA PROGRAM DIRECTOR’S SIGNATURE. LIST THE ADAA HOME STUDY COURSE, 529 14th Street, NW, Suite 1280, Washington, DC 20045, ON THE APPLICATION UNDER “COURSE ENROLLED”.
3. SUBMIT THE SIGNED AND COMPLETED APPLICATION FOR THE INDIANA PROVISIONAL PERMIT TO THE INDIANA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH VIA US MAIL. THEY WILL ISSUE THE PROVISIONAL PERMIT. ONCE THE PROVISIONAL PERMIT IS RECEIVED BACK FROM THE INDIANA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH, THE ASSISTANT CAN TAKE X-RAYS IN THE DENTAL OFFICE UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF THE DENTIST. THE PROVISIONAL PERMIT IS ONLY GOOD FOR 6 MONTHS FROM DATE OF ISSUE. IT CANNOT BE RENEWED.
4. COMPLETE ALL 6 RADIOLOGY COURSES LISTED ABOVE AND DOWNLOAD THE CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION FOR EACH COURSE. AFTER PASSING ALL 6 COURSES, THE EMPLOYER DENTIST WILL SIGN A “CERTIFICATE OF PROFICIENCY” FROM THE ISDH WEBSITE.
5. CONTACT THE DENTAL ASSISTING NATIONAL BOARD AND REQUEST A CANDIDATE’S GUIDE WITH THE INFORMATION AND APPLICATION FOR THE DANB RADIATION HEALTH AND SAFETY EXAM. IF YOU HAVE PASSED THE RHS EXAM PREVIOUSLY, YOU DO NOT NEED TO RETAKE IT. YOU MUST HAVE A COPY OF THE CERTIFICATE SHOWING IT WAS PASSED.
6. APPLY TO TAKE THE DANB RADIATION HEALTH AND SAFETY EXAM WITH DANB. TAKE AND PASS THE DANB RHS EXAM.
7. APPLY FOR THE INDIANA X-RAY OPERATOR’S LICENSE FROM THE INDIANA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH (APPLICATION ON THE ISDH WEBSITE) AND SUBMIT THE FEE OF $60.00 ALONG WITH COPIES OF THE SIX CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION FROM THE ADAA, COPIES OF THE DANB CERTIFICATE AND THE CERTIFICATE OF PROFICIENCY SIGNED BY THE DENTIST.
8. KEEP COPIES OF ALL THE CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION, DANB CERTIFICATE AND CERTIFICATE OF PROFICIENCY FOR YOUR RECORDS.